Submitted By Todd on March 21st at 7:11am
Here’s how it does it: There will be a government agency that will determine the minimum benefits that must be included in all health insurance plans. It will mandate much more coverage which almost no insurance plan has today, which in turn will drive up the cost of insurance.Liberals love driving up the cost of health care - at the state level, they're insisting on new mandates all the time. That drives up the cost of "essential" health insurance, leading to demand for universal coverage.
However, the bill also allows the federal government to set the maximum rates that can be charged for health insurance. It is important to note that a “Cadillac plan” is defined in the bill not by what it covers, but by what the plan costs. So, the government can set rates that will make providing health insurance unprofitable and tax it as well, thereby completely burying the private market.Under this scenario, the government continues driving up the cost of health insurance by mandating bigger minimum plans from the insurers, but restricts their ability to raise the price of the policy so they can make ends meet. A perfect 'kill the private sector' model - liberal nirvana.
Then, when no one can get insurance at all, the government will 'come to the rescue' of the problem it created and provide a government health plan which will then be the only one around.Hasn't the liberal plan always been to make health insurance unaffordable by expanding minimum coverage requirements beyond reason? In Illinois, for example, as with many states, expensive fertility treatments must be covered. Take a look at some of their mandated coverages.
- Requires coverage of diagnosis, detoxification, and treatment of medical complications of alcoholism to be the same as for any other illness. Alcohol rehabilitation must be covered but may be limited as specified in the Rule.
- Requires coverage for all outpatient contraceptive services and all outpatient contraceptive drugs and devices approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Requires coverage for the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, including coverage for IVF, GIFT, ZIFT.
- For policies issued or renewed on or after December 1, 2010, requires coverage for prosthetic and customized orthotic devices that is no less favorable than the terms and conditions applicable to substantially all medical and surgical benefits provided under the plan or coverage.
- Prohibits exclusion or coverage for emergency or other medical, hospital or surgical expenses incurred as a result of and related to an injury acquired while the individual is intoxicated or under the influence of a narcotic.
Back to Campbell's prediction for the slippery slope to single payer.
This strategy may result in something more like Britain’s system where if you are very wealthy you can buy your own private health care, but only for a high price and with high taxes, or you can leave the country and get good care elsewhere. But most people will be stuck with government health care and the “Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research” (I’m not making that up – it’s in the bill) decides whether you get pulled off the waiting list to get that cancer treatment or not.Today's "historic victory," if they get it, doesn't provide liberals what they want overnight. But liberals know all about patience. They've been working for a long time to undo that which the Founders created - remember FDR's "second bill of rights?" FDR believed that the Constitution was inadequate in that it didn't protect people from poor results in their economic lives. He wanted all Americans to have:
The right to a useful and remunerative job; The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation; The right of every family to a decent home; The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health; The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;Imagine the lawsuits the ACLU would file if you couldn't afford to take the family to Disney World? Liberal policies still follow the template pushed by Roosevelt. Writes Cambell:
Don’t let the Obama/Pelosi rhetoric fool you. They have all the votes of the far left because this plan appeals to the far left and will accomplish their goals, albeit over time.Yes. The petulant left is angry because they thought that with Obama's election that patience would no longer be necessary, that the dismantling of America would happen overnight. Now, it's back to hurry up and wait.